Thursday 4 October 2018

The Day I Ran the Glasgow Half Marathon

running, run, runners, half marathon, Glasgow, runners, Mental Health UK, Great Glasgow Run, Great Scottish Run, race,
Thousands of Runners Take Part in the Glasgow Half Marathon

Glasgow was my 6th half marathon.  Every year I like to do something for charity and this year when I heard that Mental Health UK was one of the sponsors I decided that I would like to try to help them raise funds.  You see I have a few family members with mental health issues and have personally endured anxiety on and off for years.   

Did you know poor mental health affects more people every year than cancer or heart disease? – every year, one in four of us in the UK is affected by a mental health problem.

Race Day

So, it’s race day and I’ve actually woken up before the alarm.  I’ve had a good night’s sleep which is unusual for me before a race as I think excitement and anticipation always keep me awake.  However, today is a good day and I’ve woken up feeling rested and raring to go.  Before I get out of bed I start visualising myself during the race and at the finish line.  I imagine myself running a strong race, in my minds eye I can see the supporters in the street who have come along to cheer us all on and I’m feeling happy.  All week in the run up to this race I have been posting mental health awareness posts on social media.  

Clementine Meditation App

I came across a really amazing app for ladies called Clementine which has guided meditations to help with sleep, confidence and de-stressing.  This morning I opt for the confidence meditation.  As mentioned in their app confidence is so important and the five meditations in this section are designed to adjust your thought process so that you wake up feeling calm, confident and in control – give me some of that please!  The one I choose is “Start the Day”; a 5 minute meditation.  I read the following before I begin my meditation
How you feel first thing in the morning can impact your whole day.  But you know what?  You have the power to begin the day exactly as you wish.  So, start it as you mean to go on; feeling amazing – cool, calm & confident
The meditation is great and sets my mood before I’ve even stepped out of bed.


running, run, runners, half marathon, Glasgow, runners, Mental Health UK, Great Glasgow Run, Great Scottish Run, race, Paisley 10k
Paisley 10k Run

Inspirational

I log on to Facebook and start watching some of the videos from yesterday’s runs in Glasgow which included the junior, family and  toddler runs.  Wow! Is all I can say, there is bountiful inspiration right there.  I start crying (I’m an emotional, highly sensitive person) when I watch the video of a lovely little girl called Nicole Rich who has Batten Disease and along with her family was determined to finish the family mile herself.  What a little star she is and what a cheer she got from everyone at the finishing line.  Then there’s 10-year-old Kieran Allen who has Quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy coming over the finish line with his family with the biggest smile you’ve ever seen.  You can see the sense of achievement written all over their faces and of their family.

Pre-race Glam

Right, enough of the crying it’s time to get psyched up and get myself glammed up for the day.  Glammed up to run a race you might say?  Well I come from Scotland and have a Casper the Ghost tan to go with it so a tiny bit of instant fake tan is required to make me feel good and I never do any event without a bit of lip-gloss on, vain I know? Do I care? No – if it makes you feel good, do it!!

Rocket Fuel

Breakfast this morning consists of toast, peanut butter, banana and a drizzle of honey, there’s enough energy packed into that breakfast to get me round the course along with my stash of jelly babies.  Over the years I’ve really had to watch what I eat before a race.  I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and it can flare up when I run, normally about the 10-mile mark when the stomach is full of gas, bloated and very windy.  I’ve tried most of the energy sachets but they don’t seem to agree with me either and caffeine drinks are a no no.  The good old jelly babies will need to be my rocket fuel today.

I always play uplifting music on race day to get me even more psyched up and my go to tune is “Eye of the Tiger”, I love the Rocky films.  So, Alexa “play Eye of the Tiger volume 10”.
I know it’s not even 8 o’clock in the morning but the neighbours won’t mind.  A wee bit of shadow boxing around the room to get the energy flowing.

Footwear Decisions

The next big decision for me today is what trainers to wear, do I chance wearing a new pair or my old faithful Asics trainers who have been through countless training runs, 10k’s, trails and my one & only marathon? – yes, the oldies win.  I also don my old Salomon socks, these are my lucky socks – they have seen better days but I need them in my life.


running, run, runners, half marathon, Glasgow, runners, Mental Health UK, Great Glasgow Run, Great Scottish Run, race,, Mental health
Mental Health UK

Arriving in Glasgow

I head into Glasgow with two fellow runners Kenny and Paul who are running their first ever half marathon.  They are both hoping for a sub 2 hour finish, I’m hoping for around the 2.15 hours.  Glasgow is buzzing.  I believe there’s over 15,000 people taking part today between the earlier 10K and the half marathon.  Runners are warming up, you can smell deep heat lotion, the queues for the porta-loos are a mile long (it’s always like this on race day) and the atmosphere is electric.  The amount of people who are running for their chosen charity is unbelievable. There’s a mass of different coloured vests/t-shirts representing all the different charities.  I spot lots of runners who are running for Mental Health UK just like me and we wish each other luck.
Start of the Run
The warm up begins and there’s music pumping out of massive speakers from a raised platform way in front of us.  Starting to feel excited and ready to go.   The anticipation, nerves and adrenaline are all building.

We're Off

And we’re off!! 13.1 miles I’m coming to get you!  We leave from George Square in Glasgow city centre, its dry with just a little wind and the first hurdle is running up the hill at St Vincent St.  Well what can I say? that fairly gets the heart pumping.  The crowd are amazing cheering us all on, there are horns beeping for us, the view in front of me is astounding, thousands & thousands of runner’s heads bobbing up and down on the road ahead, I can hear the commentator’s voices booming out encouraging each and every one of us.  The route takes in some really scenic places in Glasgow.  We run over the river Clyde twice, once over the Kingston Bridge and secondly over the Arc and we run through gorgeous parks with their lovely autumnal colours on the trees and the ground.

running, run, runners, half marathon, Glasgow, runners, Mental Health UK, Great Glasgow Run, Great Scottish Run, race, Paisley 10K, menta health, half marathon route
Half Marathon Route

The first 5-6 Miles

The first 5-6 miles I really enjoy.  I’m taking in the scenery and the entertainment. Whilst running I’m reading the backs of peoples t-shirts, who they are dedicating their run to or which charity they are running for.  I’ve gotten really warm, I pass someone dressed in a full bear costume and think to myself jeeso if I’m warm how must they feel.  I must say the crowd and entertainment on this run are the best I’ve seen. There are gospel singers, bagpipers (anyone who knows me knows I love the bagpipes), there are street acts, drummers and the funniest but most bizarre thing I saw was a lady playing music with a saw yes, a wood cutting saw?? With a violin bow all dressed up in a gold sparkly outfit and next to her was a very eccentric man who was doing some sort of trick and had his face peculiarly painted whilst the man next to him was spinning a hula hoop on his forehead.  All these things really make you smile and lift your spirits.


running, run, runners, half marathon, Glasgow, runners, Mental Health UK, Great Glasgow Run, Great Scottish Run, race, Paisley 10K, menta health, half marathon route, Gartmore 10k Trail
Gartmore 10K Cross Trail


Bellahouston Park

Going into 7 miles I’m telling myself I’m over the half way mark, I’ve got this and I'm trying to keep my mindset positive but I’ve got a really sore niggle coming from my right hip, I'm trying to think myself through it but it’s getting sorer and sorer so I decide to slow down and walk for a bit, my right knee is also giving me a bit of jip.  I start to jog lightly again and then the heavens decide to open up and soak us all as I was running through Bellahouston Park.  I’m starting to feel pretty miserable but I know one of my friends is marshalling today and she had told me that she would be at Bellahouston.  I spot her and she gives me loads of words of encouragement
“you can do this, I’m so proud of you”
it gives me another boost and I run on.   Running along Paisley Rd West at the 10-mile mark and I’m exhausted.  I start having negative talk in my head saying “I don’t have another 3 mile in me” then the other part of my brain is telling me “don’t you dare give up, you can do this”.  There are some lovely souls on the street giving out jelly babies, they are gratefully received.  I see the 2-hour ten-minute Duracell pacer and think to myself just stay behind him and you’ll get the time you’re after but the hip is now extremely sore and I’m feeling emotional.  Do not cry Louise, do not cry!  I try to keep up with him but today I just can’t so I resign myself to the fact that I’m not going to break any records with my time but will definitely finish and that’s what’s important.


running, run, runners, half marathon, Glasgow, runners, Mental Health UK, Great Glasgow Run, Great Scottish Run, race, Paisley 10K, menta health, half marathon route, Gartmore 10k Trail
Running Silhouette


The Broomielaw 

Running along the Broomielaw I see the 12-mile marker, come on girl you've got just over a mile to go and your done.  Emotions are creeping in again and I think of my daughter; I just want a big hug from her.  The crowds are lining the streets, cheering us on.  Some lovely lady sees the name on my running bib and shouts
“Come on Louise, it’s the last leg and you’re done”
Thank you whoever you were you’ll never know how much that meant.  The finish line is in sight 400m, 200m and FINISH!!  Yay, completed in 2 hours 22 minutes.  Limping up to get my goody bag slightly broken but happy that I completed it.  The bag contains my finishers t-shirt, my medal, a banana and various energy bars.  On my way over to the Mental Health UK tent where my friends are I stop for a selfie with the lovely lion (see picture below) then it’s hugs all round as we congratulate each other on completing the Glasgow half marathon.  Kenny and Paul achieved their goal and I’m so proud of them.  The general consensus is that they never knew how hard it could be and that they have a new-found appreciation for runners.  
running, run, runners, half marathon, Glasgow, runners, Mental Health UK, Great Glasgow Run, Great Scottish Run, race, Paisley 10K, menta health, half marathon route, Gartmore 10k Trail
Meeting the Lovely Lion as I had just completed to Glasgow Half Marathon

Mental Health UK

I’m then greeted by a lovely Mental Health UK worker who congratulates me, thanks me on behalf of the charity for running for them and to my absolute delight tells me I can go and get a massage from one of the massage therapists.  RESULT!!  I’m asked what I want worked on and it’s definitely my glutes and hip area.  The therapist advises me to get booked in for a full body massage to ease off my muscles as they are extremely tight – OK, that won’t be an issue as I love getting massages.


running, run, runners, half marathon, Glasgow, runners, Mental Health UK, Great Glasgow Run, Great Scottish Run, race, Paisley 10K, menta health, half marathon route, Gartmore 10k Trail
Thank You from Mental Health UK
Well that’s it done Glasgow half marathon complete.  It's been memorable and I’ve been inspired by everyone who took part in some way.

Get Active

On a final note I would just like to encourage anyone who has a mental health issue to try to get active, in fact you don’t have to have a mental health issue to get active but believe me it helps to get moving.  Whether it’s walking, jogging or taking up Zumba; exercise really does help to lift your spirits. Looking back 10 years ago I would never have thought I would have ran a marathon, 6 half marathons & countless 10k’s but it all started with baby steps and if I can do it anyone can.
Memories

If you would like more information on the charity Mental Health UK please click on the following link which will take you to their website https://www.mentalhealth-uk.org


I have also set up a Just Giving page if you would like to donate https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Louise-Harkiss4 



24 comments:

  1. Well done on blog and the running louise , such an inspiration x keep it up x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Louise. A great blog and a fantastic read. You smashed it!! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite inspiring, making me want to enter next year, thanks..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Louise, you smashed it and the blog is amazing too...contemplating doing this again next year too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so proud of you Louise. Great read! And what a great cause. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Louise! Great blog might try some of that meditation myself, great read ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Claire and download the meditation is free and so good x

      Delete
  7. That was a great read. Love the fact that you look at the whole day not just the start line. Lots of inspiration in there and great advice for others. Well done on the blog AND the run.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BrillliaB reading about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lou, this is fantastic! Well done you 😊

    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done Louise. Such a great achievement for a worthy cause and a great blog too ��

    ReplyDelete
  11. well done you x x x from Brian

    ReplyDelete

Bagging My 20th Munro - Schiehallion

Feeling on Top of the World Munros in Scotland T here are 282 Munro’s in Scotland and I was lucky to have bagged my 20 th in Sept...