Sunday 21 October 2018

The Kiltwalk & How I got Into Walking



Kiltwalk, Tartan, Walking, 26 miles, kilt walk,  kiltwalk edinburgh 2018, kiltwalk logo, kiltwalk what to wear,  kiltwalk 2018,  kiltwalk arnold clark,  kiltwalk balloch,  kiltwalk glasgow balloch,  kiltwalk finish,  kiltwalk history,  kiltwalk hero,  hashtag kiltwalk, kiltwalk glasgow how many miles, the kiltwalk hampden to loch lomond, kiltwalk medal, route of kilt walk,
Meeting Another New Friend on the Kiltwalk


I’m often asked “why do you like being outdoors so much”?  As I’m either running or walking up the local Kilpatrick hills or one of the glorious mountains in Scotland.

Well roughly about 8 years ago I found myself in the unfortunate position of being a newly divorced, single mother of one.  It obviously wasn’t mentally a nice place to be but I’m a very optimistic person and decided that I would use my free time to do something that would make me feel good.
Kiltwalk, Tartan, Walking, 26 miles, kilt walk,  kiltwalk edinburgh 2018, kiltwalk logo, kiltwalk what to wear,  kiltwalk 2018,  kiltwalk arnold clark,  kiltwalk balloch,  kiltwalk glasgow balloch,  kiltwalk finish,  kiltwalk history,  kiltwalk hero,  hashtag kiltwalk, kiltwalk glasgow how many miles, the kiltwalk hampden to loch lomond, kiltwalk medal, route of kilt walk,
Kiltwalk


I had always been curious about hill walking and one evening whilst at a friend’s house party I started talking to a lovely girl called Karen.  Through the course of the night she talked in great detail about how she had walked the Kiltwalk which is a 26 mile walk from Scotland’s national stadium (Hampden) to Balloch in Loch Lomond.  Several wines later (bottles might I add) and she had talked me into taking part in my very first Kiltwalk.  Months passed and I had forgot about agreeing to this then on the 1st January the following year Karen emailed me to say “do you still fancy taking part”? I booked up there and then as my mentality is if I book it I can’t back out of it. 

My First Kiltwalk


walking, Scotland, 26 miles, Hampden, Kiltwalk, Tartan, Walking, 26 miles, kilt walk,  kiltwalk edinburgh 2018, kiltwalk logo, kiltwalk what to wear,  kiltwalk 2018,  kiltwalk arnold clark,  kiltwalk balloch,  kiltwalk glasgow balloch,  kiltwalk finish,  kiltwalk history,  kiltwalk hero,  hashtag kiltwalk, kiltwalk glasgow how many miles, the kiltwalk hampden to loch lomond, kiltwalk medal, route of kilt walk,
My very first Kiltwalk with my amazing friend Karen

Getting in Some Practice

Every opportunity I got I was out pounding the pavements trying to get my legs used to walking long distance.  First it was a mile then 2 miles then gradually the mileage started increasing.  I found whenever I was out walking it was so therapeutic because it was great adult company and conversation as well as releasing the feel good endorphins you get from exercising.


walking, Kiltwalk, Arrochar, 26 miles, exercising, Kiltwalk, Tartan, Walking, 26 miles, kilt walk,  kiltwalk edinburgh 2018, kiltwalk logo, kiltwalk what to wear,  kiltwalk 2018,  kiltwalk arnold clark,  kiltwalk balloch,  kiltwalk glasgow balloch,  kiltwalk finish,  kiltwalk history,  kiltwalk hero,  hashtag kiltwalk, kiltwalk glasgow how many miles, the kiltwalk hampden to loch lomond, kiltwalk medal, route of kilt walk,
Ardgartan near Arrochar 2011

I’ve always been a very busy person probably doing far too much but I found when out walking in the outdoors I felt free, no-one wanting a piece of me, nothing to think about but putting one foot in front of the other.  Several other people would join us on our walks and we would vent out anything that had annoyed us during the week and by the end of the walk we would always end up laughing.  

Kiltwalk, Tartan, Walking, 26 miles, kilt walk,  kiltwalk edinburgh 2018, kiltwalk logo, kiltwalk what to wear,  kiltwalk 2018,  kiltwalk arnold clark,  kiltwalk balloch,  kiltwalk glasgow balloch,  kiltwalk finish,  kiltwalk history,  kiltwalk hero,  hashtag kiltwalk, kiltwalk glasgow how many miles, the kiltwalk hampden to loch lomond, kiltwalk medal, route of kilt walk,
Ardgartan near Arrochar

Various Walks in the Countryside

I joined some walking groups on Meetup and started going on some beautiful walks in the stunning Scottish countryside.  I walked forest paths which took in breath-taking scenery and more often than not would end up near water which always seemed to recharge me (my love for being outdoors had began).


Conic Hill, Kiltwalk, Kiltwalk, Tartan, Walking, 26 miles, kilt walk,  kiltwalk edinburgh 2018, kiltwalk logo, kiltwalk what to wear,  kiltwalk 2018,  kiltwalk arnold clark,  kiltwalk balloch,  kiltwalk glasgow balloch,  kiltwalk finish,  kiltwalk history,  kiltwalk hero,  hashtag kiltwalk, kiltwalk glasgow how many miles, the kiltwalk hampden to loch lomond, kiltwalk medal, route of kilt walk,
Drymen to Balmaha Walk 14.9.13 (Conic Hill in the background)

Scottish scenery, scottish hills, west highland way, Kiltwalk, Tartan, Walking, 26 miles, kilt walk,  kiltwalk edinburgh 2018, kiltwalk logo, kiltwalk what to wear,  kiltwalk 2018,  kiltwalk arnold clark,  kiltwalk balloch,  kiltwalk glasgow balloch,  kiltwalk finish,  kiltwalk history,  kiltwalk hero,  hashtag kiltwalk, kiltwalk glasgow how many miles, the kiltwalk hampden to loch lomond, kiltwalk medal, route of kilt walk,
What a View - Drymen to Balmaha 14.9.13

In April that year I completed my first ever Kiltwalk it took me well over 9 hours and I was a broken woman. I never anticipated just how long 26 miles was back then, I had blisters that were half the size of my foot.  I remember being in Dumbarton running out of energy and thinking I can’t do this.  You feel like you have a wee angel on one shoulder telling you can do it and on the other side a wee devil saying you can’t but the angel always wins and I never quit so I soldiered on.  


walker, walking 26 miles, Hampden, Balloch, Tartan, Kiltwalk, Tartan, Walking, 26 miles, kilt walk,  kiltwalk edinburgh 2018, kiltwalk logo, kiltwalk what to wear,  kiltwalk 2018,  kiltwalk arnold clark,  kiltwalk balloch,  kiltwalk glasgow balloch,  kiltwalk finish,  kiltwalk history,  kiltwalk hero,  hashtag kiltwalk, kiltwalk glasgow how many miles, the kiltwalk hampden to loch lomond, kiltwalk medal, route of kilt walk,
Ready for Another Kiltwalk
Once I arrived at Balloch I went into Lomond Shores where we were fed stovies (a traditional Scottish meal of mince, vegetables and sliced potatoes) and a can of Irn Bru.  After about twenty minutes, feet all bandaged up I made my way up to the pub where all my friends had gathered for a celebration party.  There were several bands playing and even with my sore feet I managed to dance until last orders was called.  The next day I could hardly stand up straight never mind walk but I had managed to raise quite a lot of money for charity and had already been talked into taking part the following year therefore it was all worth it.


26 miles, tartan, Edinburgh Kiltwalk, Kiltwalk, Tartan, Walking, 26 miles, kilt walk,  kiltwalk edinburgh 2018, kiltwalk logo, kiltwalk what to wear,  kiltwalk 2018,  kiltwalk arnold clark,  kiltwalk balloch,  kiltwalk glasgow balloch,  kiltwalk finish,  kiltwalk history,  kiltwalk hero,  hashtag kiltwalk, kiltwalk glasgow how many miles, the kiltwalk hampden to loch lomond, kiltwalk medal, route of kilt walk,
Family Effort Kiltwalk - Hope for Autism

Over the course of 5 years I took part in 5 Kilt walks; four of the Glasgow ones and one in Edinburgh.  When I completed my second one a year after the first I knocked 1½ hours off my time.  This was mainly due to the fact I had taken up walking much more regularly and my feet and legs had gotten used to walking longer distances.  

Edinburgh KiltWalk


Portabello beach, Tartan, 26 miles, Kiltwalk, Tartan, Walking, 26 miles, kilt walk,  kiltwalk edinburgh 2018, kiltwalk logo, kiltwalk what to wear,  kiltwalk 2018,  kiltwalk arnold clark,  kiltwalk balloch,  kiltwalk glasgow balloch,  kiltwalk finish,  kiltwalk history,  kiltwalk hero,  hashtag kiltwalk, kiltwalk glasgow how many miles, the kiltwalk hampden to loch lomond, kiltwalk medal, route of kilt walk,
Mo, Steven & I Edinburgh Kiltwalk 

For the Edinburgh Kiltwalk, I managed to talk my brother into taking part to and in the process raised funds for Hope for Autism which is a charity close to the families heart.

Kiltwalk, Hope for Autism, 26 miles, walking, Kiltwalk, Tartan, Walking, 26 miles, kilt walk,  kiltwalk edinburgh 2018, kiltwalk logo, kiltwalk what to wear,  kiltwalk 2018,  kiltwalk arnold clark,  kiltwalk balloch,  kiltwalk glasgow balloch,  kiltwalk finish,  kiltwalk history,  kiltwalk hero,  hashtag kiltwalk, kiltwalk glasgow how many miles, the kiltwalk hampden to loch lomond, kiltwalk medal, route of kilt walk,
Group photo - Portabello Beach, Edinburgh
The Kiltwalk is a fantastic charity which was initially set up to raise funds for various childrens' charities but now you can raise funds for any charity of your choice.  The atmosphere is always amazing setting off, during and when finishing with bagpipes playing, supporters cheering you on and entertainment/pit stops throughout the route.  You get a real sense of community spirit.

26 miles, tartan, kilts, kilt walk, Kiltwalk, Tartan, Walking, 26 miles, kilt walk,  kiltwalk edinburgh 2018, kiltwalk logo, kiltwalk what to wear,  kiltwalk 2018,  kiltwalk arnold clark,  kiltwalk balloch,  kiltwalk glasgow balloch,  kiltwalk finish,  kiltwalk history,  kiltwalk hero,  hashtag kiltwalk, kiltwalk glasgow how many miles, the kiltwalk hampden to loch lomond, kiltwalk medal, route of kilt walk,
Shady Characters Edinburgh Kiltwalk
Taking part in the Kiltwalk helped ease the pain of a marriage break up for me, enabled me to find a new past time, make new lifelong friends and find a new lease of life whilst raising much needed funds for charity.  I dare you to try it.

3 comments:

  1. Remember the small print, if I talk you into something when drunk it's not legally binding! Your turn next to talk me into a crazy adventure, get your thinking cap on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha - I promise to think up a new exciting outdoor adventure for us :-)

      Delete
  2. Another fab read, well done Louise!!

    ReplyDelete

Bagging My 20th Munro - Schiehallion

Feeling on Top of the World Munros in Scotland T here are 282 Munro’s in Scotland and I was lucky to have bagged my 20 th in Sept...